Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beautiful Moments

I have just a quick few lines to share with you as we prepare for Natalie's two week followup appointment with Dr. Haasbeek.

I think all who have followed Natalie's story know just how fragile she is and how miraculous her life is to us.  When you raise a child with disabilities, there comes a point in her life where she can no longer do what other infants her age can do.  When she's young and small, you don't notice it as much, but now that Natalie is growing into a young girl, it's becoming clear just how little she can do for herself. 

Of course, this is not a bad thing; it's who she is. 

Today, I had a beautiful few moments alone with Natalie as I washed her hair and gave her a sponge bath.  Her cast makes things a little more difficult, but I really cherished that time this morning when she became limp in my arms, fully enjoying the touch of the wash cloth and the aroma of the shampoo.  It is incredibly humbling to be the person completely in charge of another human being's life.  As tough as it gets...and it gets really tough sometimes...these moments are the moments I cannot and will not ever forget.  They recharge my batteries and remind me just how important my job is.

Tomorrow we travel to Devils Lake to meet Dr. Haasbeek at a clinic there to see just how Natalie is recovering from her surgery.  Please pray for a positive visit---Natalie is becoming increasingly frustrated with the cast, which is making nighttime difficult.

Natalie's appetite is back in full force, and she is generally a happy girl---she just tries to stretch her legs out and can't, which triggers some crying fits throughout the day.  We'll hope the cast won't need to be on much longer!  More tomorrow...for now, good night!

2 comments:

  1. *tear*. Can't think of anyone better to be Natlie's mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel - I always say that you are such an amazing, strong person. After being in Sherwood last weekend and having the pleasure of taking care of such a very, very special girl...I know FOR SURE that you are truly a special mommy and Natalie is very fortunate to call you her "mommy"! And your right...those little things that we take for granted..like washing our hair, it a pleasure to that little girl and does bring you joy knowing you have made her happy!

    "We will make our family a priority. Seek first God’s will in our family and the other things will come as He desires." From Matt. 6:33

    Love and prayers, Trish

    ReplyDelete