It's Dr. Haasbeek!
Well, it's been over a day since Natalie's cast was removed, and I can report that Natalie is much happier than yesterday! Yesterday started out really well, and Natalie was a happy girl on the way to Devils Lake. When we got to the clinic, she was a little upset about getting the cast taken off---mainly due to the vibration from the saw and the pulling as the cast was taken off. Whew, was it nice to throw that thing in the trash can! :)
What I hadn't anticipated was just how sore her muscles would be following the removal of the cast. Her legs are SUPER floppy and have no muscle tone. Moving these muscles in ways Natalie hasn't done in six weeks was a little frustrating for Nat.
Dr. Haasbeek was very pleased with Natalie's x-rays and said everything has turned out just as planned. Now it's important to get her into lots of physical therapy in the months to come to get that muscle tone back. On a side note, we've met many doctors over the years with Natalie, and I have to say that Dr. Haasbeek is one of the top doctors we've had the pleasure of meeting. On one of our visits, we learned that he goes to Ecuador to do orthopedic surgery on kids there---it doesn't surprise me in the least as he was very caring and kind to Natalie and the rest of us. During Natalie's 2-week post op visit, he complimented me on how well I took care of her cast. I say this not to brag, but to note that many doctors don't take the time to encourage parents and show them support, and this meant a lot to me. Anyway, I highly recommend him. He's a fantastic doctor.
So, back to yesterday---the ride home was pretty good, but eventually, the pain caught up with Nat and she had a rough evening. The good thing is, she fell asleep easily and didn't wake up all night last night. Today was supposed to be her first week of school, but I think we're putting that off until Monday---or Friday if I feel she can do it. I really want her getting back into the swing of things. She's missed out on a lot of school, as her whole summer school session was canceled this year as well thanks to the ol' Mouse River.
Today has been much better for Nat. She's still in a brace for most of the day (for the next three weeks), as well as overnight (for a few months), but it's much less cumbersome than that big, pink monstrosity of a cast.
Here's to hoping things get back to normal as soon as possible!

No comments:
Post a Comment